A Prawn risotto recipe might sound fancy but trust me, it is really simple to prepare. No tricky steps or complicated techniques are required, this risotto is perfect for weekday dinners or even special occasions.
Growing up in Brazil, I used to live in the countryside, far away from the coast, and it was difficult to find good quality prawn around. So every time I travelled for a holiday on the coast, I would get fresh prawns to prepare this risotto myself, or order it in a restaurant.
Want other recipe ideas? Do not forget to check our healthy dinner category!
If you want the newest recipes sent to your mailbox, subscribe to our newsletter!
Some common questions about Prawn Risotto recipe
How to make prawn risotto without wine?
This prawn risotto recipe is made with no wine! There are some versions of this dish that take wine, but I prefer to remove it.
Can prawn risotto be reheated?
Yes, you can reheat prawn risotto. However, you should consume this risotto in 24h after preparing it. Seafood is very sensitive to bacteria, the reason why you do not wanna risk your health. Keep always refrigerated!
What to serve with prawn risotto?
Possibilities are endless! You can make the prawn risotto as a main, serving a 3-course meal. My suggestions would be some seafood appetizers, refreshing salads, toasted bread, garlic bread, and a delicate dessert-like tiramisu, or pannacotta.
What herb goes with prawn risotto?
Many. You can use fresh or dried herbs. Thyme, parsley, coriander, or Tarragon. Herbs like coriander will bring stronger flavours, thyme would be more delicate, and parsley is medium strength.
What is prawn risotto?
Risottos come in a variety of textures and recipes. Prawn risotto would be creamy rice, combined with spices, and prawn. Risottos generally include dairy, as butter and cheese can help with the texture and taste.
How to make garlic prawn risotto?
This recipe already has some garlic, but not enough to make the flavours stand out. If you really want to feel that garlic, use additional garlic cloves, mashing them or chopping them really thin. It will help to release the aromas.
What veg goes with prawn risotto?
Delicate and neutral veggies. Some suggestions would be broccoli, asparagus, carrot, spinach, courgette, peas, or even kale.
- 250 g prawn fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 200 g rice special risotto rice, basmati, or regular long grain white rice
- 500 ml Vegetable broth or warm water
- 50 g Parmesan grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- Additional herbs to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Chop ingredients
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan and add in garlic and onion. Fry until browned.
- Add prawn and cook until browned.
- Add the rice, stirring constantly. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth or warm water.
- Add all the spices, then cook over medium heat until all liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently.
- When the risotto is cooked, stir in butter to make it creamy. Then add the cheese, and any additional salt if required.